Our Client appointed Consurv to act as the Project manager and to carry out the Building Defects Analysis Survey and Report on Banks Building Belfast. A Consurv Roof survey and report identified the defects that were present within the structure and roof. Our Defect Analysis ascertained the most efficient methods of cleaning for the front facade to remove the algae and lichen that was present. We also advised and supervised on the installations of a new slate roof as the retention of the previous roof was not financially optional
In 1853, the store was to become home to a wholesale drapery firm. Founded by businessmen William Robertson and Henry Hawkins (Waterford), J. C. Ledlie (Cork), and Robert Ferguson (Belfast), the business soon expanded and became a commercial department store. In 1900 the ground and first floors of the building underwent a major redesign. The architect W. H. Lynn allowed for large plate glass windows to be installed in the lower floors. The department store continued to operate on the first two floors whilst the upper floors were used as a warehouse for the wholesale side of the business.
The building remained under the ownership of Robertson, Ledlie, Ferguson & Company until they were bought out by the House of Fraser group. The department store still continued to operate from Bank Buildings until Boots took over from House of Fraser. Boots was then forced to move out in 1975. On April 9, three bombs were detonated inside Bank Buildings. The resulting fire extensively damaged the building. Refurbishments were carried out in 1979 and after 18 months the new owners, Primark Stores Limited established a store.